Re: [CQ-Contest] CW Speed in Sweepstakes

To: w1ve@yccc.org
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CW Speed in Sweepstakes
From: Timothy Coker <n6win73@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 10:39:23 -0800
I envy the guys running at 30+ who by and large make the high rate with
their abilities. It reminds me to continue working hard.

I believe the only wrong thing occurring is when an op will not QRS when
common sense would seem to point that way... as in the case of a station
CQing at a much lower speed. I think the same occurs when an op is CQing at
a high rate and has to have his callers QRS because he is advertising at a
higher rate of speed than he can actually copy. Now I have come to know
some ops who will CQ at a lower rate of speed to elicit a wider range of
stations... when I know they can copy faster I will answer at a reasonably
faster speed to keep the rate up.

A couple of points continue to stay in my mind when operating:

Don't try to do something you knowingly can't actually do yourself.

Don't answer a lesser skilled operator and expect him to efficiently answer
you at a higher skill level... come down to his operating abilities.

If each operator did this then we would have more efficient exchanges
instead of multiple fill rounds... that just makes me want to go on to the
next frequency when I am S&Ping and hear this going on... same happens in
SSB.

As to why someone lectured you? I guess he's just a lid.

73,

Tim / N6WIN.