Re: [CQ-Contest] Opinion: SO-unassisted should not be using CW Skimmer

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Opinion: SO-unassisted should not be using CW Skimmer
From: Barry <w2up@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 17:08:43 -0700
There's a pragmatic issue, too.  I doubt if there's any way for the log
checkers to distinguish between those using local skimmers vs. the RBN,
as was the case several years ago when they came up with an algorithm to
detect SO vs. SOA using the Cluster.  So, enforcement of SO vs. SOA goes
out the window.  I suppose there's always combining it into one
category, as done in WAE...

Barry W2UP

On 11/29/2011 7:05 PM, Mark Bailey wrote:
> Hi Tor:
>
> I, for one, don't agree - I see little difference between "local"
> skimmers and the worldwide network.  To the operator, they look the same
> during a contest.
>
> 73,
>
> Mark, KD4D
>
> On 11/29/2011 5:57 PM, RT Clay wrote:
>> It is also worth pointing out (again) that there is a BIG difference between
>> allowing only "local" skimmers at one's own station, and allowing connection
>> to a worldwide network of other people's skimmers. Some people only think of
>> "skimmer" as the worldwide network- but so far no contest makes a
>> distinction between the two cases.
>>
>> In the case of only a local skimmer there are still situations where a human
>> op is better- for example skimmer is not very good at copying weak signals
>> on the low bands.
>>
>> Tor
>> N4OGW

Barry Kutner, W2UP             Lakewood, CO