Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer spots

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer spots
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2012 11:12:14 -0500
I'm afraid that this would be throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
The spots that W3LPL provides on the traditional cluster network are
*derived from* the Reverse Beacon Network, but then filtered in several
ways to try to ensure that only 'desirable' spots are posted.  I'm sure
Frank will explain further if he pleases.

Meanwhile, what DXSpider (and other cluster software) need is an option
similar to those provided by VE7CC and ARC6, to permit each individual
user to decide whether he wishes to receive Skimmer spots or not.  This
should be easy to implement, because all Skimmer spots have "-#" as an
SSID, and all have CW speed and SNR in the comment field.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
reversebeacon.blogspot.com,
arcluster.reversebeacon.net, port 7000