Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL-DX SSB (CQ WPX) : How were condx ?

To: CQ-Contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL-DX SSB (CQ WPX) : How were condx ?
From: "Yannick (XV4Y)" <yannick.devos@online.fr>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 10:00:31 +0700
Hi,

Just a follow-up about my antenna and the path to NA.

During last CQ WPX SSB I had only a few hours that I spend on 15m exclusively.
Saturday morning I had 30 minutes around 8am local time (01.00z) when condx
should be good to NA.
Condx were Ok but not great.
Signals were down 1-2 points on the 2elts Moxon heading 15° compared to the
vertical.
I was unable to find a good beam turning the antenna 15 degrees more or less.

Sunday evening (13-17z) I spend nearly 4 hours on 15m and the band was really
hot.
The Moxon (at 330°) was 2 S-point better on european signals compared to the
vertical.
I had plenty of S9+10db signals all over the band but it was tough to make QSOs!
I think my signal (with 100w) was arriving S7-9 but the band was full of QRM in
Europe so many time I had to wait the frequency to be clear (not hearing the
other stations) and at one time had an easy QSO.

More surprising later in the night, signals from NA were good also, around 1S
even if slightly off-bearing.

I have two (temporary) conclusions from this :
- On the morning perhaps the path is not fully SP or LP and usually NA stations
are bearing to JA, not me, making things harder to understand.
- Around 1 meter under my antenna I have a roof which frame is in metal. Length
is around 10m... If heading 330°the main dimension is parallel to the antenna.
Heading 015° perhaps the frame act as a parasitic element and modify the
radiation pattern...

Ok, now I will bot bother you anymore with my (perhaps off-topic) antenna
stories.
Hope to see you in the contest with more spare time next time!

73,
Yan.
---
Yannick DEVOS - XV4Y