Re: [CQ-Contest] Is QSL Bureau pertinent in today HAM Radio

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Is QSL Bureau pertinent in today HAM Radio
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 10:01:15 -0400
For what it's worth, a few words on the evolution in my thinking on
QSLing over the years.

I've been into computerized logging since the late 1980s - anyone
remember EasyDX?  I was the first paying customer for DX4WIN, and
shortly after that concluded that going through boxes of QSLs from the
bureau was just too time-consuming, particularly since I had (and have)
no interest in more awards.

In an effort to solve this problem I badgered DX4WIN's Paul, KK4HD, into
adding the ability to preemptively QSL the first contact with each
station on each band/mode combination.  That way, I figured, I could
just print batches of QSLs and dispatch them via the outgoing bureau.

Here, economics raised their ugly head.  I reduced printing costs by
locally producing 4-up sheets and then using DX4WIN to print directly on
them (those stick-on labels are expensive).  That left postage costs.
Working through the USPS online price charts, I was able to work out the
cross-over point at which the number of my outgoing QSLs to a given
country made it more economical to mail directly to the foreign QSL
bureau, rather than through the ARRL's outgoing bureau.  More work for
me, but less cost per QSL.

The next step, and the last to date, came in 2009 when I discovered
GlobalQSL.  It is somewhat more expensive than what I had been doing,
but the saving in effort is immense, the cards are nice looking, and the
service3 seems to be adequately fast.  I can keep my conscience clear,
answer the few cards I get directly, and get on with the other aspects
of this hobby I enjoy.

All 124,000 of my computerized QSOs are now on LOTW, too.  I look
forward to the day when it's all we will need.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
reversebeacon.blogspot.com,
arcluster.reversebeacon.net, port 7000