Re: [CQ-Contest] LOTW and Contest Logs

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] LOTW and Contest Logs
From: W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 16:52:45 -0700
The only reason DX managers don't put their logs on LOTW is the mighty green stamp and IRC.

Mike W0MU

On 12/13/2012 1:06 PM, Robert Chudek - K0RC wrote:
Hello Ed...

Theoretically that idea should work fine, i.e., automatically ingesting adjudicated contest logs into the LoTW system. Technically is would "only" take a process of requirements gathering, software design, coding, testing, implementation, and support. Casting all that aside, there's another issue...

I believe some people would not be as philanthropic as you, when you wrote: /"However it seems a shame that my logs that are clearly //"//in the system" for contest results can't be put to good use by those that do like LOTW and that the league can't get more revenue from it."/

It would be argued that their personal activity should not be a revenue source for "the league" in any manner. You only have to look at the controversy that irrupted regarding the "open logs" policy of the CQWW contests. And there's NO money involved with that! That boils down to the "loss of control" over their data.

But I am curious why you chose to not upload your logs to LoTW for the benefit of other operators? You did participate in the system 5 years ago, according to the "Last Upload" for your call sign. Your QRZ page says /"I am QSL Manager for 9M6/N1UR, XX9TEP, C6ARS, A52UR, PJ2E..."/ and none of those calls have ever participated. I would think you would make a lot of people happy by loading those contacts into the system.

I will say the support for getting users "up and going" on the system has REALLY improved since the last time you participated. There's also a reflector dedicated to helping walk people through the process when their initial attempt(s) get derailed.

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN