Re: [CQ-Contest] Big Gun hogging two frequencies (K3KU complaint)

To: "'Tree'" <tree@kkn.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Big Gun hogging two frequencies (K3KU complaint)
From: "Ron Notarius W3WN" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 15:11:27 -0500
One comment Tree...

With all due respect, and I'm not saying that this was the case with regards
to the situation in question between you and K3KU...

How long a delay is long enough?

I've had many a contest where someone has left a frequency.  In several
cases, I've called him (or her)... no answer.  Did it again; ditto.  Asked
if the frequency was in use; silence.  At least a full minute, usually more,
has now passed.  So I start calling CQ Contest.  Another minute or three,
I've worked a station or two... and NOW the original station pops back up,
informs me it's his frequency, not very nicely informs me that I should have
known they'd be back -- and I get muscled out.

So how long is long enough?

More importantly, though... if someone leaves a frequency that they've been
"running" on, for ANY reason, IMHO, they run the risk of someone else
grabbing it.  And, IMHO, if it happens... the original station has NO right
to demand the frequency back.  (Ask?  Yes.  Demand?  No.)

Further, if the original station interferes with the "new" station running
on that frequency, IMHO, they are (at the very least!) showing poor
sportsmanship and not operating in accordance with Good Amateur Practice.
(And probably in violation of their nation's communications rules as well.)

You take a risk, sometimes you lose.  Isn't that how it's supposed to work?

73, ron w3wn