[CQ-Contest] Enough of this Nonsense!

To: cq-contest reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Enough of this Nonsense!
From: John Laney <k4bai@att.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 15:24:51 -0500

I always have a keyer and paddle in parallel with the computer keying so that I can respond with the paddle if something happens like the computer locking up. I recommend that to everyone. BTW, it should be used when you are being called and don't have the call correctly into the logging program. Rather than losing the rhythm and waiting to get the call correct into the logging system, call the station with the paddle, let the computer send the exchange, and you can have the call in correctly before you need to copy the other station's exchange. Particularly, if you don't use full QSK, you will loose a lot of time if you wait until everything is perfect in the computer to send the call of the station you want to answer. You will probably finally start sending his call when he starts to give his call again, you two will "double" and there will be silence when you finish the exchange.

Bottom line: to be really efficient in running, you need a paddle ready to go whenever the computer isn't ready and you need to always use QSK (if your amplifier has QSK). If you don't have a QSK amplifier, you should get one or get a QSK-5 or equivalent and use it with your amplifier.

This applies whether your are SO2R or SO1R.

Another important check is to be sure that your F keys send what you think they should be sending. This is really essential if you are not going to hear what the computer is sending during the contest. Several times lately, I have heard top rank stations start a contest with the CQ message using one call and the TU message using a different call. Obviously the operator was not monitoring what his computer was sending and couldn't know how confusing he was to everyone trying to call. I recommend listening to your computer sending during the contest, but if you can't stand to do that (and I understand how it might complicate SO2R) at least listen to the programmed messages before the contest starts and make sure the call being sent is always the same call.

73,

John, K4BAI.