Re: [CQ-Contest] SS Sundays

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SS Sundays
From: Richard F DiDonna NN3W <richnn3w@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 10:28:21 -0500
On 2/8/2013 1:19 PM, Timothy Coker wrote:

Geez am I the only guy who feels bad about telling the kids that daddy isn't playing with them because taking a break would set me behind my competitors? This after working 40+ and commuting all week?

I get the whole idea of going strong and head long into it... but SS isn't exactly an iron man contest like CQ WW or ARRL DX is it?

The guys who are currently at the top of this one are hardcore ops. There should always be a group of them for a while into the future. Just giving my opinion as a second tier domestic station on what would probably put some more life into this one.

73,

Tim/ N6WIN

Tim, contesting and family has always been a balancing act and one where conflict often occurs. I am in the same boat as you as I have young children, and have to very carefully chose which events I can do seriously and which I have to expect to "break off engagement" from when the need arises. These days, I have about 5 events set aside in a year - mostly 24 or 48 hour events, and have been fortunate enough to be green lighted for a couple 12 hour QSO parties. One can argue for overlays or 12/24 hour windows, but I've really yet to see a persuasive argument for why Sweeps as a whole should be cut down in duration. As it currently stands, each operator must take 20% of the contest period as off/break time. That, to me, is a rather large concession.

While SS is not an "iron man" contest, I don't see why that's really relevant. It is, however, considered by many to be the pre-eminent purely domestic contest. Thus, you get a lot of heavy hitters pushing red line in this event. So, expect a high level of competition.

73 Rich NN3W