Re: [CQ-Contest] SS Sundays

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SS Sundays
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 17:21:21 -0500
But... the stats don't lie. Look at these log counts for the last few years (all I could get easily off the ARRL web site:

Year Phone    CW

2012    1675    1290
2011    1828 1404
2010    1793    1469
2009    2054 1555

Are those healthy trends?

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
http://reversebeacon.net,
blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com.
For spots, please go to your favorite
ARC V6 or VE7CC DX cluster node.

On 2/10/2013 3:42 PM, Ron Notarius W3WN wrote:
I like SS for a number of reasons, and the fact that it is unique in both
the type/length of its exchange, & that you are only allowed to work a given
call once, make it one of the more challenging major contests.

The key to increasing activity on Sundays is obvious, but it is the solution
that requires the most effort.

Consider recruiting more casual hams to operate.

Consider, for example, that we are (by many reports) at or near the peak of
the current solar cycle.  For example:  What better time to convince a Tech
class license that this is a great opportunity to make contacts on 10 meter
SSB?  Or on 80, 40, 15 & 10 for the CW part of the 'test?

What better time to loan someone a rig, and give them a hand with an
antenna, as incentive to put in a few hours?

Or take that ham who is schlepping along to a WAS or USA-CA or similar
award.  Especially those who believe that certain nets are the only way to
do it.  Rather than let them believe that the bands are too "crowded",
convince them that Sundays are prime times to work loads of people & pick up
their state/county fills.

I'm sure we can all think of more examples, but you see the point, I'm sure.

The solution, IMHO, is not to change SS irrevocably.  We need more activity?
Then let's start recruiting.

Incidentally... I currently have a rig out on loan to a Tech who's one of
the ops when I run a contest from here M/S.  It's taken a little while, but
I believe he's ready to 'solo' on 10 meters during ARRL SSB in a few weeks
(and more importantly, HE believes he's ready).  So it's a start.

73, ron w3wn