Re: [CQ-Contest] Summarizing the Skimmer Accuracy Thread

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Summarizing the Skimmer Accuracy Thread
From: VR2BrettGraham <vr2bg@harts.org.hk>
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2013 16:37:54 +0000
S56A continued:

VR2BG wrote: I still find it interesting that on WEEKDAYS, I found so many
RBN spots of EXACTLY THE SAME CALL, at EXACTLY THE SAME TIME (to the
SECOND), on either another frequency on the same band, or on another band
altogether, than where other skimmers were spotting that call.

Brett, could you provide few examples?  I spent few hours with Excell using
150K QSOs from Tue. Feb. 26th.  I spoted few wrong close freqs but the other
bands were present mainly on rare DX when they moved.  It took me a long
time to learn stacked IFs in Excell semantics J

Instead of nightmare nested-IFs in a spreadsheet, use a database application Marijan. Also, I don't know if is still the case with later versions of Excel, but as I recall the one I have maxes out at 64k, so is not possible to work with all the data from a day.

On 2013-02-26, from a quick glance I see DF5WBA at 09:36:30 said to be on 3538.6 by EI6KH & 14039 by UA4NE. At 06:30:51 DL1LH was said to be on 7034.4 by LA1QDA & 3510.5 by G0KTN. EA6NB was said to be on 7007, 7036.6, 7062.5 & 7073.5 at 06:34:44 by K2DB. At 05:10:24 K2DB said F5IN was on 7052.5 whilst W2RDX had him on 7014.

I hope there are no evil peope sending false spots!

<snip>

Not on RBN. Is all to do with the various spurious responses of the receivers. Skimmer doesn't know any better & simply spots what it hears.

73, ex-VR2BG/p.