Re: [CQ-Contest] [YCCC] Why ARRL SSB Contest is Not My Favorite

To: Dick Green WC1M <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] [YCCC] Why ARRL SSB Contest is Not My Favorite
From: Frank Fallon <n2ff@optonline.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2013 20:11:45 +0000
Dick,

My memory of that CAC discussion was that it was a staff member at ARRL who suggested that CAC look at the issue of the ARRL DX rules to improve participation

I remember seeing graphs showing the levels of participation in contest and the WPX and CQWW rules/ format had greater participation. What I see here is that there are fewer DX entities to work in the ARRL DX contests. I was active for 16 hours using telnet on four bands and while I had 77 entities on one band I wound up with only 98 entities when thee contest ended. Yes, I had a good number of QSO's, 582 but it is not my favorite contest. I usually manage to break 100 in the CQ contests. I believe the non US hams are simply not interested in working only US and Canadian stations for 48 hours no matter what mode. It's just not that interesting. So, I have to agree with Hank - it's relatively boring as contest go.

But having said that, I see no way to improve the contest. It will simply have to remain broken. When I crave excitement it is the CQWW DX contest for me!

73 de Frank...N2FF.......