Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW Survey

To: CQ CONTEST <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW Survey
From: brian coyne <g4odv@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 15:01:27 +0000 (GMT)

>So non-English speaking contesters who are not comfortable reading this
reflector >can't possibly be serious, their opinions don't really matter
and they do not >contribute to the success of contests?

>I'm sure that's not what you mean

Of course that is not what I meant but non english speakers/readers would not
be completing the survey return anyway. To ensure that those persons are
included would make it incumbent upon the CC to provide multiple translations
and, in turn recruit multiple translators to deal with those responses, we have
what we have.

Let me put my point another way, in an ideal survey world. Look at any results
list, we can deduce that the top 25%, or to be generous say 33%, are serious
contesters. This deduction is reached by BIC time. Ok there will be some
anomalies where serious ops were unable to do more time in that particular
event, but by and large there you have the guys I am referring to, whatever
language  they may, or may not speak

If the CC are  to give serious and equal credence to all who have previously
entered their contest and responded runs the risk of the tail wagging the dog
due to that  greater number of ops who are not serious contesters. Granted,
taking the trouble to respond does indicate that many in the lower quartile
would not respond but we don't actually  know that.

The issue of cheating is obviously the motive behind this survey question, and
I would prefer to leave the categories 'As Is' and live with that. I know it is
easy to say this when it is the CC who need to deal with 'cheating issues' but
I hope they will be willing to continue the battle.

73 Brian 5B4AIZ /C4Z.