Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW Survey

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW Survey
From: "kenke3x@gmail.com"<kenke3x@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 16:24:28 -0400
N6TJ wrote:

"So very sadly, today's Generation X has no clue on how to operate, and it shows.... But hey, look at all the new "operators" we've brought into contesting. Oh boy.............. >

Then NY7N wrote:

"As a member of "Generation X" at 34 (in fact, one year removed from Generation Y), I'm not going to just sit here and take this sort of feces flinging....

With attitude like this towards younger (younger? I have a kid old enough to be a ham, for Marconi's sake) hams, it's amazing any new blood comes into amateur radio - especially into contesting."

Well I am happy to report my General Class licensed son Patrick K3PAL (Generation Y, 18 years old) stayed up all night Saturday night keeping me company during Russian DX. He had a great time matching his skills against top competitors around the world.

But he was NOT in a radio contest.

He was playing DC Universe Online after being recruited onto a global interactive 8-man team with players from Europe to Silicon Valley. He's ranked in the top 100 globally (out of a million players) and is just as passionate about DCUO as I am about 'Unassisted Radio Contesting'.

So I suggest you try explaining to a 'Generation Y' kid that you can't use the internet during a radio contest, and let me know how that conversation goes.

I have other sons who are showing limited interest in ham radio, but they are doing it because they value their time with Dad, not because traditional radio contesting can compete with the 'adrenaline factor' of online gaming. It simply cannot.

73,

Ken KE3X