Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW Survey

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW Survey
From: "Marijan Miletic, S56A" <s56a@bit.si>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 23:24:37 +0100
K5ZD wrote: I bet sailboat racing was a lot different before they had GPS.

USA 17 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USA_17_(yacht)>  is a trimaran
measuring 90-foot (27 m) length-on-waterline, maximum beam of 90-foot (27
m), and length overall of 113-foot (34 m). She was launched on the 22nd of
August 2008 in the city of Anacortes
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anacortes> , Washington
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_(U.S._state)> , USA. The boat was
BMW Oracle Racing's entry for a Deed of Gift
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deed_of_Gift_of_the_America%27s_Cup>  match
against SNG/Alinghi that took place in February 2010 in Valencia. The
yacht's mainsail <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mainsail>  is a rigid wing
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sail#Sail_types>  that is 224-foot (68 m) tall
and some 55 percent larger than the wing of an Airbus 380 airplane, making
it the largest rigid wing ever.

This was the latest BMW-Oracle boat so comparing sailing with hamradio is
ridiculous!  I am sure it even had more CPU power than K3LR J

Once upon a time I admired USA "can do" attitude but now I am bored of OF
ludists.  I built SDR into my FT1K, wrote my own RTTY Skimmer and I am not
supposed to use in order to obey archaic contest rules.  I got optical cable
in my room 24/7 but I should disconnect from internet over the contest
weekends.  If I get an urge to run pileups, I start Morse Runner or go to
Kosovo, Tunisia, Madeira etc.

73 de Mario, S56A, N1YU, age 68 on March 27th, hamradio since 1962.