Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote contest operation

To: cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote contest operation
From: Jukka Klemola <jpklemola@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 11:27:09 +0300
>   There is no amateur RF involved at all.
>>

> RF is a prerequisite for ham radio QSOs, but not for
> ham radio activity.

I checked and added arctic grade lubrication to a rotator.
DC wirings only.
I strongly claim that was a ham radio activity.

I had to shovel the snow away to access that motor and gear.

As I see my activity, it was about ham radio.

> On the other hand, the claim that any amateur RF,
> anywhere in the signal path between two people
> concerned, qualifies the activity as a ham radio
> QSO is clearly wishful thinking.

For that ham-radio part of the contact, it is a ham-radio QSO.

Using something else for other parts of the contact, does not wipe out the
ham-radio path.

> In competition, however,
> how things are done matters.

This is a Great Thought.

> Rules are introduced to
> regulate activities and keep the competitors honest.
> And W5OV will immediately say that there are no rules
> regulating remote control in contesting.  And he is
> right, it is unregulated.  As things stand, in most
> contests, we can use any communications system or
> utility we choose so long as there as some RF, any
> RF, anywhere.

CQ WW specifies a 500 meter diameter for a contest station.
The whole station must be within that circle.

There are also other contests with similar specifications.

For CQWW, there is the Extreme Category specifying remote station uses.
I do not recall if any other contests specify remote station concepts.

> Come on, contest sponsors - do something.  Give
> the remote operators a class of their own, or put
> a stop to it.  Many of us prefer not to compete
> with the hybrid-communications contesters.
>
> 73,
> Paul EI5DI

The CQ WW extreme category is there for those who want to operate remote.

Please see this explanatory clip and you may see some new opportunities for
contesting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I8f0Z-71QA

I am for the new technologies - as long as they are used responsibly.

73,
Jukka OH6LI