Re: [CQ-Contest] Antw: Re: Antw: Re: Remote contest operation

To: "M. WIJK" <pa5mw@home.nl>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Antw: Re: Antw: Re: Remote contest operation
From: Gerry Hull <gerry@yccc.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 11:16:53 -0400
Mark,

Let's get to the meat of the matter:  You have said you don't oppose remote
operation.  WHY do you oppose remote operation during a contest?

What is different about it?

Are you worried that the remote operator gains some advantage with remote
operation? Example: A W6 operates a contest from his home station remotely
from a hotel in Europe.  Are you afraid they will be using a local
receiver?   That cat is out of the bag long ago -- there are worldwide
remote receivers on the net, and this has nothing to do with remote
operation.   The ability to cheat in contests has zero to do with
technology.   People who want to cheat will always find a way.

Are you opposed because it's just "different"?    I would understand your
opposition if that were the case.  That is a typical gut reaction.

It is interesting that the most popular remote operating gear comes from a
company in Sweden, and the Finns have already done large remote contest
operations.
So, I would say there are plenty of people in Europe who agree with remote
operation -- and in contests.

I'd also note that unless an operator happens to disclose that they are
operating remotely, you probably would not have clue they are doing it.  In
quite a few contests in the past couple of years, operators have only
revealed the fact after the contest.

Unless a contest sponsor states that remote operation is not permitted, I
don't see anything but growth in this facet of contesting.

73, Gerry W1VE