Re: [CQ-Contest] NQ4I Proposal for WPX

To: "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] NQ4I Proposal for WPX
From: Chris Plumblee <chris.plumblee@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 12:45:47 -0400
The slope gets very slippery very quickly when you try to change rules to
somehow reward "effort." I say that as a resident of the southeast US and a
one-time operator at nq4i.

Rick's team undoubtedly worked hard to make 7500 qsos in 48 hours. Multi
multi is not a trivial endeavor, as anyone who has ever hosted such an
effort can attest. However, you had to know going into it that you would
make lots of 1 point qsos. K1LZ's team worked harder to make more EU qsos
as a percentage of their total, particularly on the low bands.

To go back now and try to measure the "effort" that both teams put forth is
a bit misleading. I think it's more correct to say that the points/qso
ratios possible from the northeast USA are not realistic for the southeast
USA, but the raw qso numbers from the southeast USA are not realistic for
someone in Massachusetts.

If that inequity is a problem for the contest organizers, then I think your
proposal does a good job of addressing it. However, if the organizers
understand that contesting on a worldwide basis is inherently inequitable,
then I don't think there's anything to be done.

73,
Chris wf3c

--
Chris Plumblee