[CQ-Contest] Fwd: CQ WW Rules Changes

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Fwd: CQ WW Rules Changes
From: Tom Haavisto <kamham69@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 21:42:05 -0400
From: Tom Haavisto <kamham69@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, May 23, 2013 at 9:37 PM
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WW Rules Changes
To: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>

I was at the presentation, and the thinking was that the top operators
try very hard to get everything right.  One busted QSO can (and has)
made the difference between first/second place, so accuracy counts.
To a large extent, folks at this level will be unaffected by reducing
the penalty from 3 to 2.  However, folks "in the middle and lower"
tend to be less careful, and they get whacked pretty hard.  Randy made
an example of one person making 30 QSOs, messing up a dozen and ending
up with a negative score.  Clearly, this was not a serious entry, but
I am sure they were shocked to end up with a negative score!  Randy
did some checking, and the change will not make a big change to the
top scores, so it seemed like a reasonable change.

As for the dirty signals, this rated pretty high in the survey
results.  The thinking is - the person with the dirty signal is
actually better off, as folks will tend to move a bit further away in
order to escape the dirty signal, leaving him with less QRM/better
off.  The open question being - how is this going to be determined?
They have SDR recordings for the entire contest, so "after the fact"
analysis is certainly possible.  For now, good idea, have data - just
need a way to figure out who the offenders are.  If anyone has a way
to objectively determine a good/bad signal, please let Randy know.

Tom - VE3CX