Re: [CQ-Contest] Will there be anyone to work in 20 years?

To: xdavid@cis-broadband.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Will there be anyone to work in 20 years?
From: w7dra@juno.com
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 14:15:48 -0700
my daughter is taking a radio course leading to a license, through her
Mormon church. she lives in an out of the way place (minimal fire,
police) and the church is embarrassing ham radio as a means of emergency
communication. if there is ANYTHING that would capture youth it is
this.....and America is full of storms and tornadoes etc, needing ham
radio as emergency backup.

mike w7dra
On Fri, 24 May 2013 13:56:37 -0700 David Gilbert
<xdavid@cis-broadband.com> writes:

> Attracting youth to ham radio in general is not going to happen, and
> can list several reasons why not.  That being said, the ONLY aspect
> of
> ham radio with any general appeal to "youth" (i.e., anyone less than
> the
> current median age of hams) is likely to to be contesting.
> Everything
> else can be done better, cheaper, and easier via other means, but
> competition is competition as long as the barriers to entry are not
> great.
>
> 73,
> Dave   AB7E
>

> On 5/24/2013 8:55 AM, Shane Mattson-->K1ZR wrote:
> > Fellow contesters,
> >

> > We have a much bigger problem than the top 5 topics discussed on
> this
> > reflector ad nauseam.
> >

> > Open the CQWW presentation Randy presented during Dayton this
> year:

http://cqww.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/CQ-WW-for-Dayton-Contest-
For