Re: [CQ-Contest] Will there be anyone to work in 20 years?

To: Rick Kiessig <kiessig@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Will there be anyone to work in 20 years?
From: Maarten van Rossum <pd2r.maarten@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 18:35:43 +0200
When I tell people that my hobby is amateur radio, they usually ask me if I
play music on air. I then try to explain what amateur radio is all about
and tell them that one of the things we do is communicate with eachother on
air.
Often they reply that they can do the same thing with there cell phone.
Subsequently I ask them to call some in, lets say, South America. "I don't
know anybody in SA so who should I call?" is mostly the reply I get and
that is exactly the point I try to make.

Amateur radio to me is not only a way to communicate but also a way to meet
different people all over the world. The vast majority of the countries I
work on the bands I have never visited before and probably never will. In a
way Amateur radio offers me a way to "visit" these countries and learn
about different
cultures. To me that is a big part of the "magic" of amateur radio.

When I put it that way, people usually see why amateur radio is interesting
to so many people around the world. It doesn't necessarily mean that they
have become interested in amateur radio as well but at least they have a
little better understandig what it's all about.

73, Maarten PD2R

Op dinsdag 28 mei 2013 schreef Rick Kiessig (kiessig@gmail.com) het
volgende:

73, Maarten PD2R