Re: [CQ-Contest] : Reverse beacon of my own call?

To: "'Jeff Clarke'" <ku8e@bellsouth.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] : Reverse beacon of my own call?
From: "Bob Naumann" <W5OV@W5OV.COM>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 06:45:41 -0500
Jeff,

It's really pretty simple.

When you are a "not assisted" single operator, YOU have to do *all* the
operating - including assessing propagation and determining of where to operate
when, what bands are open, etc.

Using some other system to "assist" you in operating or to help you determine
what band to operate on is leveraging that other system to "assist" you in
operating.  Pretty clear, isn't it?

As some seem to agree, the CQWW rules specifically preclude the *use* of RBN
for single ops.  The rules don't have any exception such as "if and only if you
only see what RBN nodes are hearing your own station".

If you were to do this, we all know that this use of RBN will clearly assist
you in working other stations more efficiently.

No.  The rules specifically preclude any type of assistance* including such
systems.

As far as VHF goes, things there are totally different and it seems that the
basic understanding of right and wrong takes a huge turn as you go beyond the
30 MHz barrier.  As you say, comparing VHF rules with HF rules is apples vs.
oranges.

Let's focus on HF and ignore VHF rules for the moment.  Should there be a
discussion of VHF rules? Sure - but in a different context.

During recent discussions of these rules, I had proposed that there is no
justification for Single Ops to use *ANY* amateur radio related Internet
resources whatsoever during the contest.  I still feel that way.

The other side of this discussion is that if people want to use RBN, the just
enter the contest as Single Op Assisted!

The solution is so simple I cannot understand why there is such angst over
trying to slip some form of assistance into the "un-assisted" Single Op
category.

Most of us remember what single op was like pre-Internet days - it should be no
different today.

Just "a boy and his radios".

W5OV