Re: [CQ-Contest] : Reverse beacon of my own call?

To: Tom Osborne <w7why@frontier.com>, CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] : Reverse beacon of my own call?
From: Kelly Taylor <ve4xt@mymts.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 06:44:31 -0500
Here's a different take on the whole RBN to monitor oneself argument.

I think KU8E is correct in pointing out that it is unlikely to alter
competitive score at all, however...

I believe a single-op unassisted is, whether the rules intend it or not,
breaking the rules by using RBN to monitor only himself, but it has nothing
to do with the rules pertaining to RBN.

The rules define alerting assistance as an external system that provides
callsign, frequency AND multiplier information. I do not believe that an RBN
monitor set to filter out all but your call does that. You know your
frequency, you know your callsign and you know whether or not you are a
multiplier to yourself (which, of course, you can never be, since you can
never work yourself).

However, the receivers comprising the RBN you're using are essentially
remote receivers, governed by the 500-metre rule, and hence not allowed for
SO unassisted.

Now, before you ask why then does that not bar use of RBN in other classes,
it's because RBN and other such networks are specifically permitted in the
classes permitting them. That specific permission creates an exception to
the 500-metre rule.

But that specific permission is absent in the SO Unassisted category.

73, kelly
ve4xt