Re: [CQ-Contest] W/VE contacts from W/VE in ARRL DX

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] W/VE contacts from W/VE in ARRL DX
From: "Mike & Coreen Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2014 18:43:39 -0400
I still say giving

them a contact without telling them it doesn't count in the contest makes it

worse for everyone.

Marv N5AW

My response sometimes (usually on CW) is to ignore, but I found that it
wears on my conscience,(I'd rather be a good guy rather than that jerk who
surely can hear me) especially if they are loud, so this time my response
was:

"KD8XXX I am sorry but I can only work DX for this contest my friend, but
thanks for calling.  Next time!"

or

"I'm sorry but this is a DX only contest and I am not allowed to work USA or
Canada.  Thanks for calling though.

(or words to that effect)

I got a few dead silences, a couple "OK Sorry" or "OK, thanks" and one guy
that said something like "I am so used to working you in all the contests,
Mike so I thought I'd call" so I  I said back.and I do appreciate that, but
it's DX only this time my friend. All was good.

Yes, it probably cost me a couple extra seconds, but at least I did not
perpetuate the problem for the next guy down the dial.

Regards,

VE9AA Mike...

p.s.-in certain EU (etc,.) contests they can't work VE for points and I get
ignored and my feelings are not hurt.  I check the contest calendar and read
the rules, say "Doh" in my best Homer Simpson voice and find someone else to
work on a different band/mode/contest.

Mike, Coreen & Corey

Keswick Ridge, NB