Re: [CQ-Contest] W/VE contacts from W/VE in ARRL DX

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] W/VE contacts from W/VE in ARRL DX
From: David Siddall <hhamwv@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2014 11:09:58 -0500
Strongly agree.  I always had a lot of stateside callers at W3USS (now
defunct) where I operated this contest for years.  They either recognized
the call sign and wanted a QSL (which was a certificate as well as a card)
or wanted a "DC" contact.  Got noticeably worse in the early 1980's when
most contests with state-based multipliers corrected their rules in
recognition
that DC isn't part of MD.  Little did I suspect that the change would
probably lower my scores because of the stateside callers, but it came with
the territory so to speak and, IMHO, even in severe cases such as W3USS
computer logging makes it almost a non-issue.

BTW, I still don't participate in NAQP in any form even though I haven't
had a DC station for more than a decade.  Political boundaries are fact,
whatever they are, and easy to figure out.  Why any contest organizer would
base multipliers on states except make the ARRL section MDC a multiplier
instead of the state and district is weird, but NAQP consistently has
refused to correct its rule.   There always have been multiple contesters
in DC -- today W3DQ & KE3X  most prominent (I heard both in this weekend's
ARRL DX contest).  KE3X is a WRTC-2014 competitor, PVRC President, and a
fast-speed CW champion, so one might assume that he knows something about
serious contesting.

73,  Dave K3ZJ