Re: [CQ-Contest] Accuracy Top Ten Box

To: <k5zd@charter.net>, "'James Hadlock'" <jrhadlock74@msn.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Accuracy Top Ten Box
From: "Bill Hider" <n3rr@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 18:11:16 -0400
Since at least 2011, the ARRL has been publishing the top 5 accurate stations,
in several USA & DX categories, for the ARRL DX CW and ARRL DX SSB contests in
terms of lowest error rate.  These are published in the Expanded Results for
each contest and are available on the ARRL website under the results from each
contest.

In terms of definitions of accuracy and error rate, in the 2011 Expanded
Results for the ARRL DX SSB contest, by Ward Silver, N0AX, in Appendix A to
those results, Ward published the following.  I would start with this:

Quoting the 2011 ARRL DX SSB Expanded Results:

START QUOTE

Appendix B - Error Rate and Accuracy Index

Error rate is calculated in percent as the number of “bad” QSOs – those listed
in your Log Checking Report with a busted call (B), a miscopied exchange (X),
or “Not In Logs” that can’t be found in the other station’s log (N) – divided
by the total number of verified-good QSOs after duplicates have been removed
from that log.
Error Rate (%) = 100% X (B+X+N) / QSOs

The accuracy index is a measure calculated so as to reward lower error rates
for large logs. That is, for two logs with equal error rates, the log with more
verified contacts has a higher accuracy index. The higher the index, the more
accurate the operator(s).
Accuracy Index = log10 (QSOs) + 10 X (1 - Error Rate in %/100)

END QUOTE

73,

Bill, N3RR