Re: [CQ-Contest] Handicap For Dirty Rigs

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Handicap For Dirty Rigs
From: K4XS via CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2014 22:11:24 -0400
Very few signals sound dirty on either of my K3s.  However,  there are a
couple that sound dirty and are from well known contesters.   Looking at the
signals on the P-3 is pretty enlightening and generally confirms  what my
ears hear.  No CW signals should be 1.5 kHz wide and when they are  it gives
the offending station an unfair advantage.  One particular station  seems to
be able to turn on the wide signal at will and then turn it off once  you
move away from him.  Things that make you go, hmmmm.

>From what I've been told the keying on some of the newer rigs can  be
adjusted (or mis-adjusted) and the result can make a $$$ rig sound like  the
old
MKVs without the click adjustment.

Disclaimer:  I hold no interest in Elecraft.

Bill K4XS

  In a message dated 10/13/2014 1:59:29 A.M.  Coordinated Universal Tim,
thompson@mindspring.com writes:

I wonder  if this ham gets a commission from Elecraft?   Maybe the K3's he
has needs a better front end so they are not overloaded by nearby  hams.

Maybe W7DRA and I need to get on using Heath DX-100's.  If  the Yaesu and
Icom rigs are so bad after a short while we should have run  the others off
the band.

My question is does the FTDX5000 or Icom  7600 meet FCC specs if so what is
he talking about???

Dave K4JRB