[CQ-Contest] WRTC Qualifying & RDXC

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] WRTC Qualifying & RDXC
From: <w2lc@twcny.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2014 18:19:25 +0000
I don't operate assisted. Why? I'm not interested in RBN, skimmer, internet
spots, etc. Those are cute technologies but of no interest to me.
I do single-op, mostly one radio, and I balance running with S&P. That's why I
dislike the non-IDers, I actually S&P.

For WRTC NA2 you must join several multi's if you wish to place near the top of
the standings. Strictly going single-op won't get you there without a Herculean
effort.

And if I did go assisted what would I get?

An internet connection that is unreliable and fails on a daily basis. Those of
you in EU (and you too Randy, and I'm sorry for picking on you, well ... a
little bit), please understand that there are many areas of the US that do not
have reliable internet. I am in one of those locations, and I am not that far
out into the countryside. FIOS? yep they have called me, but when they hear
where I am, in relation to their service, they say "never mind".

I probably will not have truely reliable internet at home in my lifetime. Why?
Not enough customers in my area to make it economically profitable for the
internet provider. I am the next to last house on the cable. I'm not sure what
the next house does. No big deal, that is just the way it is. I don't use spots
anyway. And the only reason TW ran the cable this far out (for a relatively
small number of customers) is because one of the town board members lives next
door, otherwise I guess would have to use my cell phone. Ooops my cell service
is marginal too, scratch that, but ok for my limited use.

The plus side for my locaton is the noise level, I am fortunate to have a
nearly zero noise level. I would rather have that, than better internet service
any day.

As for RDXC, I am disqualified even before the start: (kind of, I exaggerate)

11.11 Logs for high scores claiming to be in the top 3 list of any contest
category (p 3, 3.3) must indicate the frequency of every QSO made (CAT system
use) with a minimum resolution of 1 kHz.

11.11.1 An applicant will not be awarded any of the final "Top 3" places of any
category unless exact frequency of every QSO made is indicated.

So I cannot use RDXC for WRTC qualifying at least not if I place well, I'll be
DQ'ed for not having exact frequencies in my log ("will not be awarded" = "DQ",
right?). Didn't someone say that not having exact frequencies makes you a
cheater? No it doesn't.

I use analog radios, remember those? And they don't have a CAT interface so I
cannot comply with the frequency rule, unless I manually record frequencies.
Not gonna do that. I like the radios I am using, they work very well. No
lectures on older radios please.

Therefore a question for the RDXC contest committee, why would I operate your
contest when, if I place in the top 3, I will be DQ'ed? Not awarded or whatever

I figure to get into the 21st century I need to spend aboout $50,000 USD. 2 new
radios, 2 new power amplifiers (a couple of those EU 3500W units ought to do
it, I'll run them conservatively), another tower or two, mono-banders, and a
house in the Hamptons. A lot of money for maybe a few hundred more QSO's.

Maybe, just maybe 2015 will bring a new radio, but which one? I've heard so
many bad comments on all of the major radio brands, it is difficult to choose.

73 Scott W2LC