Re: [CQ-Contest] Legalities and ethics of international remote operation

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Legalities and ethics of international remote operation?
From: Paul O'Kane <pokane@ei5di.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 21:29:49 +0000
On 16/12/2014 18:27, Barry W2UP wrote:

On Saturday afternoon, during the 10m contest, I was surprised to be called by a very loud YO4. Condx were such that the band was not open to central/eastern EU here in Colorado at that time. Given the signal strength, I presume the YO4 was using a remote on the east coast of the US.

What are the legalities of such an operation?

As described, the operation is illegal.  Nothing in
CEPT authorises, or may be construed as authorising,
transnational remote control. CEPT concessions apply
to visiting hams only.

At the September 2014 IARU Region 1 General Conference
in Varna, Bulgaria, the following text was adopted for
publication in the HF and VHF Managers Handbooks.

  "It should be noted that Recommendation SC11_C4_07
  states that member societies bring to their members
  attention that the T/R 61-01 [CEPT] agreement only
  applies to people using their own call sign, with
  the appropriate country prefix, when the operator
  is actually visiting that country, not for remote
  operation."

Where does this type of operation fall in terms of contest rules and ethics?

It is both illegal and unethical.  Further, it makes
a mockery of ham radio and the DXCC program.

http://ei5di.com/hunting1.html

73,
Paul EI5DI