Re: [CQ-Contest] QRP

To: "CQ Contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] QRP
From: "David Thompson" <thompson@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2014 23:33:48 -0500
I nade two serioud attempts at QRP operating. In 1978 I ran the CQ WW SSB and did add/qrp and found that this caused far too much problem. In 1984 I won the USA Plaque for QRP in the ARRL SSB. My score would have placed 4th in low power. I learned that using the voice keyer that just sending my call without /QRP was the way to go. With a good antenna and the right propagation QSOs were easy to make at times and impossible at other times. I found that if a station did not answer after 4 or 5 calls go on to another station or even change bands. I even had a couple of runs of South Americans
and one short Eu run

I expect that with computer logging that the /QRP causes all sorts of problems. I remember logging mobiles as /m but this showed up as England.

My hat is off to the dedicated QRP Contesters.  For me 100 watts is my QRP..

Dave K4JRB