Re: [CQ-Contest] DX Contest scoring schemes

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] DX Contest scoring schemes
From: Steve London <n2icarrl@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 20:21:05 -0600
1500 miles. That's really funny, Jim. And has no factual basis, of course.

Every contest, my good contesting friends in central Texas, a mere 600 miles east of me, trounce me to Europe on every band. And no, the bands do not open any earlier to Europe for me. I have to wait for the sun to rise or set, just like everyone else.

And please stop giving folks the idea that being on a 6900 ft hilltop imparts some magic. I am 300-400 feet above the surrounding terrain in most directions, but I do not have a 0 degree horizon in any direction - there are much higher hills from 1 to 12 miles away, depending on the direction. The height above surrounding terrain is what matters, not the elevation above sea level. Frankly, I would be better off to live on the flat desert, at 4000' elevation, about 30 miles south of here, with a pair of 150 ft towers. That is a factual statement based on science, using HFTA and arrival angle statistics.

73,
Steve, N2IC