Re: [CQ-Contest] DX Contest scoring schemes

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] DX Contest scoring schemes
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 09:42:27 -0700
On Thu,5/28/2015 7:21 PM, Steve London wrote:
1500 miles. That's really funny, Jim. And has no factual basis, of course.

Have you run HFTA for your QTH? I've run it extensively, and it clearly shows 6-10 dB advantages to certain terrain. 6 dB is 4X the power; 10 dB is 10x the power. Apply inverse square law, and it can have the effect of moving you that much closer.

Every contest, my good contesting friends in central Texas, a mere 600 miles east of me, trounce me to Europe on every band.

And from what I've seen, some of them have stacks on the higher bands. As does N6RO.

And no, the bands do not open any earlier to Europe for me. I have to wait for the sun to rise or set, just like everyone else.

K6XX is three miles from me, but on the peak of a ridge I shoot over to EU. The higher bands DO open an hour so early, and stay open an hour or so later, to EU. And he works guys in JA that I don't hear.

I've run FD QRP twice from a 5,000 ft peak east of Monterey, CA. It is VERY diffferent from operating at home, which I have also done FD QRP twice. On that peak, I could run for at least half of the time, and had a 70 hour at the end, and I made almost twice the number of Qs.

73, Jim K9YC