Re: [CQ-Contest] LY9W ? - time to ban SCP?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] LY9W ? - time to ban SCP?
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 11:57:58 -0700

Doug, I totally agree with you on this, and have for quite some time. I used to use SCP some years ago, but don't anymore because it simply feels like cheating. Yes, most of the time it is prudent to verify SCP instead of accepting it at face value, but at the very least it speeds up the recognition process and in many cases (like some of the JA or South American callsigns) the popup is unique and can fill in a missing character I never even heard with almost 100% verity. I don't even like the use of SCP when operating assisted because ... like Call History Databases which I also don't use ... the information being used WAS GATHERED OUTSIDE OF THE CURRENT CONTEST. In my opinion, that last bit alone should rule out the use of such automated databases.

As you say, there isn't much chance of disallowing them, and with the availability of online logs anybody could create their own anyway. It wouldn't even change things if the folks who manage the various contest loggers dropped the capability because people would just use older versions. A few years ago, just to see if I could, I even created a monster "Call History" database using the FCC registry of ham callsigns (I think I even included the Canadian equivalent ... don't remember for sure). I tried it out during one of the winter NAQP contests just to see how close it was for name and QTH and found it almost functional.

I'm pretty sure that somebody will pop up here with the comment that SCP isn't actually "bad" because it's readily available to everyone, but it seems to me that it still falls outside the parameters of most contest rules.

It won't do any good, but somebody should publicly agree with you, so I will.

73,
Dave   AB7E