Re: [CQ-Contest] Linux Logging Programs

To: k9yc@arrl.net, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Linux Logging Programs
From: Dez Watson <g3ww.dez@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 18:33:42 +0100
Hi Jim et al,

Well I didn't explicitly say Win-Test is better than N1MM+, simply I think Win-Test is worth the fee.

For sure, N1MM+ is a wonderful contest logger, which is supported really well and If I was just getting into contesting, I would most likely start off with N1MM+ and never look back. 20 years ago I began with Super-Duper by EI5DI, then progressed onto Writelog and settled on Win-Test and have
been using WT as my main contest logger for around 10 years.

I am not sure how well N1MM+ works under Linux, I have used Win-Test under Linux and it works smoothly, I run a Pentium 4 for contesting here. The original poster was asking which loggers worked under Linux,
hence my intial response.

As for Win-Test, well I think the objectives/targets function is excellent. I frequently use it to analyse public logs to understand the strategies in great depth. The bandmap list view is another key feature which I heavily use and it is fully configurable. For instance, I might not want to jump to the next available multiplier but to the next valid station on the nearest beam heading. The indidvidual window colours and also configurable which may sound gimmicky but it's a feature I like. There is virtually no cause for me to use the mouse in Win-Test, I'm a touch-typist and I like to keep my fingers close to the keyboard at all times. I don't use any external paddles or a separate keyer, Win-Test's own keyer does all I require. I've also use the internal voice keyer in Win-Test when I've occasionally entered a Phone contest and found it a breeze.

I tend to operate Single Operator on just CW these days.

73 GL

Dez, G3WW / M6W

/
I'd be interested in hearing what it is about WinTest that makes it //better than N1MM Plus. Is it more than "key assignments are like the DOS //program I used for 15 years before the DOS computer died?" /

/73, Jim K9YC/