Re: [CQ-Contest] Self-spotting in-debth

To: "'Radio K0HB'" <kzerohb@gmail.com>, "'V. Sidarau'" <vs.lists@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Self-spotting in-debth
From: "Peter Dougherty \(W2IRT\)" <contesting@w2irt.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 19:58:41 -0400
I would respectfully suggest that anybody who thinks a medium or small-sized
station can attain a respectable score unassisted just by spinning the dial
hasn't actually done so in the last few years. The advantage of operating
assisted and using point-and-shoot over spinning the dial is easily a million
points if not two. When Europe opens to the east coast on 20, and later on 15
and 10, I've picked off Qs, and especially Mults, faster than if I were to find
a spot and start CQing. It's even more apparent to JA and South America in the
late afternoon. I'd say 85 to 90% of the spots are accurate meaning I can
attain a rate of 60-100/hr when condx are good, if I can't get a good, long run
going.

In 2015 it's crazy to expect a medium-sized station to spin the knob and
operate unassisted if that station wants to have a shot at 2M or 3M. Maybe
once, but not any longer.

GO FRC!
Peter, W2IRT
www.facebook.com/W2IRT