Re: [CQ-Contest] Why some Caribean Islands compete as South America at C

To: <john@kk9a.com>, "'Helmut Mueller'" <helmut@photo42.de>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Why some Caribean Islands compete as South America at CQWW
From: "Tom Georgens" <tomgeorgens15@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2015 10:10:52 -0800
I appreciate the kind words in  these posts, but would rather this thread
not be about me.

Simply, I just try my best, but would not claim to be the best

To the subject at hand, creating a balanced playing field on scoring is
close to impossible.  Every QTH has its plusses and minuses.  8P is about
1500 miles from Miami and further from the US radio population centers than
parts of Zones 9 and 10.  It is also very far east and not as good day/night
alignment with the US for the ARRL contests.  OTOH - It has great
propagation to Europe and better high band propagation to the US than the
northern Caribbean as the sunspots decline.   In the end, this is where I
chose to operate and I live with the good and bad.  I also realize that most
people do not get to choose where they operate.  I further  realize that the
Caribbean get special points treatment that the rest of the world does not
get

While there are too many variables to balance to create a level playing
field, I do think it is unfortunate that the WPX and WW (CW and SSB) use
largely the same points scheme.  Whatever areas are disadvantaged, are
similarly disadvantaged in both contests.  It would be interesting of one of
them, likely WPX, moved to a more innovative scoring system, maybe distance
based.  Surely, this will create unfairness of its own,  perhaps more so,
but it may give opportunities for certain geographies to compete globally in
a major contest.

Since global scoring fairness is likely impossible, competition will always
have a strong regional component.  In the end, it is about building the best
station you can, operating it to the best of your ability and measuring
yourself against your regional competitors.

As for 8P, I think there was a time when it actually was considered South
America.  If only ...

73, Tom W2SC 8P5A
 Still a little tired from CQWW SSB