[CQ-Contest] WRTC qualifying (was Fwd: Re: Why some Caribbean Islands co

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] WRTC qualifying (was Fwd: Re: Why some Caribbean Islands compete as South America)
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 11:26:47 -0400
See my comments below LU5DX's:

LU5DX said:

That is true in part Igor. Despite the fact that WRTC was created to

evaluate operators' skills, the qualifying run is held by taking into

account the results of those events where mostly location, amount of

aluminum, power and several other factors that are beyond what organizers

can control, determine the final standings.

I think that finding a better scoring system and probably other Contest

"mechanics" like QSO/QSY which will reduce the effects of those factors

that go beyond operating skills will be something really possitive for

contesting overall. Otherwise, in the end, results are more proportional to

the money that people can invest rather than skills.

73,

Martin LU5DX

Martin,

You sir, are a very wise man ! * W O W *

While it's certainly true once you are in the WRTC tent, things are very
fair as to have matched stations and antennas (especially in the last 2-3
WRTC's) it HASN'T been entirely fair to get there, now has it?

Depending where in the world you live (if your WRTC zone has Mega or
Superstations for example) and the depth of your pockets (how rich you are)
Those 2 factors will certain affect your eligibility more than

your skill level (I believe). Deep pockets allows you to build a huge
station and/or go to rare locations where you can also get WRTC pts.

I have never really paid attention until recently as my contesting has waxed
and waned over the decades, but there sure seems to be a lot of REALLY loud
Low Power stations since February.

 If you follow the WRTC rules, you know what I am referring to.

Good post Martin.  A real reality check.  Am I complaining?  Well, yes, yes
I guess I am ! ;-)

Mike VE9AA Verticals and dipoles/wires + 1 vy low tribander..WRTC Zone NA #7

Mike, Coreen & Corey

Keswick Ridge, NB