Re: [CQ-Contest] Leveling the playing field

To: Contesting Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Leveling the playing field
From: Kevan Nason <knason00@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 11:40:28 -0500
“N6TR came up with a FAR better scoring system for the Stew Perry
contests…” – K9YC

(On distance based scoring) “But it is not a proven equalizer” – K3PA

“How does distance-based scoring do anything other than swap one unlevel
playing field for another?” – VE4XT

I would like to see distance based scoring, but don’t believe that would
make the controversy go away. The complaints would just shift to things
based on why one station or area has an unfair distance advantage over
another. We’d likely hear things like:

-       It isn’t fair. I can’t compete with those islands with salt water
around them.

-       It isn’t fair. OE4XYZ lives on a hill with the ground sloping
toward NA so he gets an unfair advantage for his 40 meter take off angle
that I don’t.

-       It isn’t fair. I can’t get through the strong EU stations who only
need one hop to reach 4J (or NA stations to reach the HP2) instead of my
three hops. I would really get a bunch of points if he could only hear me
through all that noise.

-       ( …Fill in your own complaint here… )

It’s never going to be fair. Let's just keep the known rules,

maybe with some minor tweaks. Doing so will give us a

way to compare progress against historical scores.

Keep WRTC in a mode of leveling the playing field to

decide who is best. Organize similar events in your

area if you want to. No money or resources for a local

competition? Or you would rather put your time and

money into other things (like me)? Then you have

no complaint as you prioritized what is important to you.

Kevan

N4XL