[CQ-Contest] Distance-Based Ranking

To: Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Distance-Based Ranking
From: Ward Silver <hwardsil@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 17:15:36 -0600
Distance-based scoring really won't work for bands on which there is a skip zone. This is pretty well understood and precludes using it for bands from 40 through 6 meters. And you have to account for EME on the VHF/UHF/Microwave bands, too!

What I think is more likely to "work" (meaning satisfy the need for identifying and competing with a peer group) is distance-based *ranking* which compares one's scores to those from stations in the same category and region. I would compete under this type of comparison with stations in the Midwest, K9YC with stations on the West Coast, and N1UR with stations in the Northeast US, for example.

I devised (with the help of K3NA) such a system about 20 years ago but the data and Internet mechanics were not yet available to implement it. See the May 1995 issue of NCJ for the system description. Basically, a region is identified for each contest based on how the sponsors divide the geography. You collect scores from the 10 closest stations in your region and category, then prorate your score against those. Many variations of ranking are possible - by contest, by type of contest (DX or domestic), by category, etc. Many of the geographic inequities drop out in this type of regional comparison. No changes in scoring would be required from any sponsor which is a requirement.

Simple matter of programming, folks.  Have at it :-)

73, Ward N0AX