Re: [CQ-Contest] High Rate Dual Radio CQing

To: CQ Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] High Rate Dual Radio CQing
From: kd4d@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2015 16:01:01 +0000 (UTC)
Hi Steve:

I disagree - I operate "unassisted (pick a name) because I enjoy operating that
way and I also enjoy competing with my peers.  I really enjoy the competitive
nature of contesting.

I don't think the definition is headed for a collision with itself.  The
"assisted" category (pick a name) will become more and more technology and
connectivity (internet) centric - I believe we've only seen the beginning.
There will be more effective "skimmer-like" technology and completely automated
stations - sooner rather than later.

The collision that I see comes with the effort to push more and more
connectivity and technology into the "unassisted" categories (pick a name) - or
to eliminate them altogether.

I expect (hope?) that in 10 years the "assisted" category will be drastically
different than it is today and the "unassisted" category will be much the same.

Analogies are often suspect, but let me propose one.  The invention and wide
deployment of motor-driven seagoing vessels has not eliminated sailboat racing
- we are not obligated to let "technology" control the evolution of contesting.

73,

Mark, KD4D