Re: [CQ-Contest] Working Split In A Contest Is Verboten!

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Working Split In A Contest Is Verboten!
From: Ron Notarius W3WN <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2016 14:12:19 -0600 (CST)
 That's the thing.

Whomever was behind this was clearly a good op, and knew how to run a pileup &
work a contest.  And he (or they) did it for several hours, so clearly this was
more than a 15 minute "mess up a few contesters minds" thing.

I couldn't get a bearing on them; I run verticals.  But the signal strength was
proportionate with several G, GM, GN, and EI stations I worked (or at least
heard) about the same time on 15.  So it probably wasn't someone obviously in a
different part of the world.  I'm not saying that they were in the British
isles, though, just (from what I could tell) in reasonable (RF wise) proximity
thereof.

Sending "KW" for power was definitely a tell.  That said, in and of itself,
that doesn't prove anything.  Just because he (or they) sent "KW" doesn't mean
that their actual output power WAS over 400 watts; yes, I know it's a rules
violation to send a power number so far off from alleged true output (I did
work a lot of '99' ers, and one station sending '73' for power -- well, it did
stand out, but you give them the benefit of the doubt... right?)... but for all
I know, if it was a legit call, someone got permission to run more.

My point is that whomever pulled this off knew what they were doing, made it
JUST legit enough to not obviously be a Slim, and had the operating skills to
match.

Which can lead an idle mind into speculation about who was behind this... but
without evidence, it would be just that... speculation... so I won't go there.

I am reminded of the "KG4AA"/"KG4US" hoax that a pair of clowns pulled in the
1996 ARRL DX contest.  They might have gotten away with it if they hadn't both
gotten drunk on the air and gave too much away (while yelling at each other) on
75 phone!

73, ron w3wn