Re: [CQ-Contest] Convergence and Change

To: Rich Assarabowski <konecc@snet.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Convergence and Change
From: Kelly Taylor <ve4xt@mymts.net>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2016 09:05:22 -0500
The problem with cheating is catching it might be an excellent illustration of
the Heisenberg uncertainty principle: the more you try to quantify and control
it, the more you just push it around.

You cannot institute any method of trying to control it that cannot, by a smart
enough cheater, be subverted. Video can be faked, audio can be edited, a power
meter can be deliberately miscalibrated, referees can be bought, spots can be
carefully used so as not to raise suspicion and the audio from a remote
receiver can be fed straight to the user's ear, under the headphone muff and
downstream from the audio recording. A little heat shrink and nobody watching
the video would be the wiser. A little pretence of struggling to copy and
feeding just enough of the remote audio into the recording feed, and the
illusion is complete.

Not to mention the notion of a complete subversion of the presumption of
innocence.

The whole idea of the requirements for audio/video of stations expecting to
place well is also repugnant. It leaves very little room for magic, such as
WA2GO in QRP in 2001 SS from Alaska, when the aurora parted for just long
enough, or then-N6NT from Panama in ARRL DX with a stick in the mud and low
dipoles. Did either expect to do well, let alone set their respective records?
In John's case, his expectation should have been 24 hours of screaming into the
dancing, colourful lights.

Who, really, is the customer for WW or SS, anyway? Is it the 10 stations in
each Top 10, or the thousands of others who aren't?

The big guns need the little guys far more than the other way around.

Short of developing a neural interface to read the operator's mind, or hiring
Betazoid empaths, much of the discussion about catching cheating is a dog
chasing its tail.

All you do is make life difficult for most operators with zero impact on
cheating. Time for some Zen.

73, kelly, ve4xt

Sent from my iPhone