Re: [CQ-Contest] Convergence and Change

To: k3fiv@arrl.net, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Convergence and Change
From: Ron Notarius W3WN <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2016 06:36:00 -0500 (CDT)
 FWIW, I tend to agree in principle with Jack.

However, one small addendum...

If we follow his general guidelines as outlined below, can we PLEASE come up
with a better terminology for the categories than "Assisted" and "Non
Assisted"?  If for no other reason, to put an end to the wise cracks from
people insisting that having your spouse or significant other handing you a
drink during the contest (or similar non-technical off-air act) counts as
"assisted"?

73, ron w3wn

On 05/17/16, Jack Haverty wrote:

On 05/17/2016 12:57 PM, Eric Gruff wrote:
> Here's my point: technical innovations are going to occur, and in just about
> every case, give those who acquire them and become proficient in them an
> "assist". Is it really necessary to split the categories into assisted and
> unassisted?

IMHO, this is exactly right - technology changes constantly and is critical to
ham radio. We humans are born with very poor ability to sense electromagnetic
waves, and even less ability to create them, so we need technology to help.

The core nature of ham radio is using technology to communicate using radio
waves. The core nature of radio contesting is to demonstrate our skills and
capabilities in ham radio.

So, I'd like to see a split of assisted versus unassisted based on those
observations, with the following basic definitions:

Unassisted - a station using technology, of any kind, to communicate using only
ham radio waves. All communication across the station boundary (building,
100-meter circle, whatever) must be performed using ham radio. Within the
station boundary, other forms of communication may be used.

Assisted - a station using technology, of any kind, to communicate not only
using radio waves, but also using other forms of communications across the
station boundary for whatever purpose the operator wishes. All contact
exchanges (whatever that means) must however be accomplished only by ham radio
communications.

In other words, Unassisted means you use only ham radio; assisted means you may
use other forms of communications as well.

73,
/Jack de K3FIV