Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW Madness

To: Mike Tessmer <mtessmer@cinci.rr.com>, Ktfrog007--- via CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW Madness
From: Rudy Bakalov via CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2016 10:52:29 -0400
Using other logs is indeed a good idea.  However, what is it specifically that
the analysis should deliver to convince the skeptics? You don't need any logs
to predict that when you change incentives human behavior will change
accordingly.

Just to sum it up:

1) The proponents of a change favor two options. Option #1 is switching to
distance based model.  This option will encourage long distance QSOs (in the
spirit of a DX contest) while also giving credits for local contacts.  Option
#2 is allowing US to US contacts plus increasing the pool of mults.  Both
options are pretty clearly formulated have outcomes with a fairly high degree
of predictability based on the change in incentives.

2) The opponents of any changes use by and large two arguments. Argument #1 is
that a data analysis is needed to convince them that a change is needed. The
goals of such analysis have never been outlined.  Argument #2 is that the rules
are fine as is and no change is needed.

Again, as a Canadian station the current rules serve me very well. I am happy
to get points for working an endless supply of US stations.  However, the idea
that a Toronto - Buffalo QSO is worth more than Miami - Seattle is just crazy
and makes no sense.

Rudy N2WQ

Sent using a tiny keyboard.  Please excuse brevity, typos, or inappropriate
autocorrect.