Re: [CQ-Contest] How to make WRTC more like the Olympics?

To: David Pruett <k8cc@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] How to make WRTC more like the Olympics?
From: Kelly Taylor <ve4xt@mymts.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2016 17:02:53 -0500
The major advantage to Dave’s suggestion is it gives the selection process the
ability to look beyond raw scores and judge true accomplishment. Without taking
anything away from stations fortunate enough to locate in the promised land(s),
I would argue being 11th from VE4 in a DX contest is a more significant
accomplishment than Top 10ing it from the Azores, Aruba or the Canary Islands.

It could very well be that an operator from VE4, whose scores suffer due to the
Black Hole, would be a better Canadian representative than someone who wins
from VE3EJ (no offence, OK, John?).

Basing it on scores alone skews the results to favour those fortunate to live
in certain areas of the world, or have the money to travel to the right areas
of the world. Handicapping scores from MM stations (when you’re never really
sure which of the multiple operators is the ‘best’) is a good step.

But whatever process is decided, it should remain stable from event to event.
It’s just not fair to keep moving the goalposts.

73, kelly
ve4xt