Re: [CQ-Contest] How to make WRTC more like the Olympics?

To: cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] How to make WRTC more like the Olympics?
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2016 13:11:06 -0700
Hans,

My point is that the op who qualifies is going to choose the partner who he/she believes will make the team most competitive, taking into account their personal compatibility. Most competitors are members of contest clubs, or know other good contesters. It's FAR more than "bring a friend."

Looking at it another way, how would you like to be automatically paired with someone you don't like, can't get along with, or whose skills don't match? And there are also TECHNICAL skills -- most teams bring their own radios, interconnect, logging, and control setups, etc.

I think most of us agree that geographical factors are a far greater issue in who gets to be there.

And, of course, there's also the matter of the stations that are available to these operators, and their financial resources to buy, build, rent, or fly to a great station, especially for the dozen or so qualifying contests. That requires deep pockets as well as skill. I'm never going to be good enough to compete at WRTC, but I could turn in a far better score operating from W6NL, K6XX or N6RO than from my own station. But I also know that all three of those guys are far better operators than I am. :)

73, Jim K9YC