Re: [CQ-Contest] "D1WW"

To: "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] "D1WW"
From: Michael Adams <mda@n1en.org>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 13:48:48 +0000
I'm not an expert, and I'm not a contest sponsor, but I can offer one thought
that might help:

Consider how the contest might treat contacts with/logs from stations licensed
by the de facto authorities in Kosovo, Northern Cyprus, or Western Sahara (on
either side of the wall).  Or, if the contest has that much history, how the
contest might have handled East vs. West Germany before the early 1970's.

As a contest participant, regardless of how I might personally feel about
certain geopolitical issues, I think my philosophy needs to be: Work First,
Worry Later, and log every contact.

If there's a question as to whether a potential contact might have been
legal...the contact still stays in the log (it was made), but I will change it
to an "X-QSO" entry in the Cabrillo.

I'd also suggest that similar thinking might be appropriate for determining
when skimmers pick up on certain calls.  It's easy to justify passing S0 or Z6
calls despite the politics, because they count for DXCC and WAE credit
respectively. But is there a difference between 1B and D1 calls aside from
personal opinions about the geopolitical questions polite hams try to avoid?

--
Michael Adams | mda@n1en.org