Re: [CQ-Contest] modest proposal ...up to 200w

To: w0mu@w0mu.com, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] modest proposal ...up to 200w
From: Ron Notarius W3WN <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2016 11:11:23 -0500 (CDT)
 I suspect that the reason for the line being drawn at 100 W was/is more to
allow for minor variations.  If you had/have an older rig, say a hybrid with
6146 type finals, that puts out roughly 110 W on 80/75 but 90 W on 10, do you
really want to consider that rig in the "high power" category?

That said...

Before we can really debate the merits of raising the line from 150 W to 200 W
(why not 250?  Why not 400?  etc), the question on my mind is what is the real
motive behind this.  Is it so that someone with a 200 W output rig, which is
(on paper) 3dB stronger than the next guy with a 100 W rig, all else begin
equal, has an advantage over everyone else in the "medium power/low power/lower
power but not QRP" class, whatever you decide to call it?

73, ron w3wn