Re: [CQ-Contest] 40m lower band edge SSB

To: w1ve@yccc.org
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 40m lower band edge SSB
From: Dave Edmonds <dave@pkministrywebs.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2016 16:52:41 -0400
I recently got out of 'band jail' by upgrading to Extra...What freedom it's
been to enjoy the whole band to 3 Khz on the edges. I learned my lesson as
a Novice when working PJ2PP on 21.099. I was using a FT101EX and I didn't
recalibrate the dial VFO. My dad shared the "QSL card" I received from the
FCC with me... I'll never make that mistake again!

73s Dave WN4AFP

On Wed, Nov 2, 2016 at 3:34 PM, Gerry Hull <gerry@yccc.org> wrote:

> Agreed.
>
> On Wed, Nov 2, 2016 at 3:23 PM, David Siddall <hhamwv@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Actually, Gerry, the FCC amateur rules are explicit on this very point.
> > Section 97.307(b): "Emissions resulting from modulation must be confined
> > to the band or segment available to the control operator."   In other
> > words, you must keep your emissions entirely within your permitted band.
> >
> > A properly adjusted  LSB signal will extend about 2.8 kHz below the
> > carrier frequency.   To comply with band edge, the lowest one can
> > reasonably go without professionally adjusted and monitored amateur
> > equipment when using LSB is 7.128, or 3 kHz.   Even this close assumes
> that
> > your transmitter is operating correctly and is properly adjusted.
> >
> > 73, Dave K3ZJ
> >

> > On Wed, Nov 2, 2016 at 11:30 AM, Gerry Hull <gerry@yccc.org> wrote:
> >
> >> Just to put a fine point on it,  7125 is the band edge.  The FCC regs
> >> don't
> >> say "Don't go within 3 KHz of the band edge", but of course,
> technically,
> >> that makes perfect sense.  There are obvious violations outside of this,
> >> but band-edge violations by mode are probably not something people are
> >> going to take a coronary about it.  It is best to avoid them. (CW is a
> >> different story).
> >>
> >> I presume the log checking software uses the actual band edge, and does
> >> not
> >> compensate for LSB/USB.
> >>
> >> Probably most violations occur in the excitement of picking a packet
> spot
> >> which is a new multiplier pops up.  One fix is for the contest software
> >> to prevent picking out-of-band spots for your country or region.
> >>
> >> Gerry W1VE

> >> signal
> >> Do I

Dave Edmonds