Re: [CQ-Contest] Holding back your score?

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Holding back your score?
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2016 18:17:39 -0300
          It is *WELL KNOWN* in the contest community that there are a
select few ops who usually post their score to 3830 either after others in
their 'WRTC Zone' / Province /  State or Country have posted to shoe-horn
themselves high into a category for maximum WRTC pts, or a plaque.

I have seen it. Others have seen it. It is out there, but it's the white
elephant in the room nobody talks about.  I have even seen 3830 reports in ,
say, a HP category, but when you check submitted logs page on the various
sites like WAEDC, ARRL, CQ, WAG, you see they really entered as LP.

I am 100% sure I have been bamboozled out of some WRTC pts, by post-contest
category hopping that happens. (and submitting their logs to the robot at
the very last minute, just like the eBay auction sniping that goes on)

I don't have a solution..  I sleep at night though.  I usually upload my
log, errors and all 10 minutes after the contest and report my score to 3830
either immediately, or the next morning.

I don't think log manipulation should occur outside 1 or 2 messy typos that
can be cleaned up with a couple minutes post-test. (however what was said or
sent on the air, must back up your typo.)

I have little respect for someone who chooses to enter as "LP" when I know I
hear huge backscatter signals from there all w/e long, while other truly LP
entrants are barely heard, -OR- they enter as M/S or M-2 or in rare cases
enter as HP as nobody entered that category./.

I know this will never in 1,000,000 years happen, but I would like to see
some way for a station to "register" their category ahead of contest time.
Either have it "locked in" via their logging software or an online
submission (not always possible, I realize)

I am also nearly certain few will comment on this post.

It's like the guys running 10kW amps...nobody will out them.

Mike VE9AA

Mike, Coreen & Corey

Keswick Ridge, NB